Jan 24, 2022
To Our YMCA Family:
We are Ready For You!
The Sault Ste. Marie YMCA health, fitness and aquatics centre will be re-opening on Monday January 31, 2022. After working with Algoma Public Health, we have identified what procedures and protocols will need to be in place to keep you, our volunteers, and our employees safe during the re-opening of our YMCA facility.
Please remember to be KIND to ALL our staff, volunteers, and members during this time as we continue to transition into a safe and inclusive space for everyone! This has been a difficult couple of years for everyone in our community and your patience with safety protocols and guidelines, limited services and spaces is greatly appreciated at this time.
HOURS OF OPERATION
OPENING UNDER THE ROADMAP TO REOPEN FRAMEWORK
- Mon–Fri 5:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Closed Sunday.
- Holidays 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- *Program spaces close a half hour before the building closes.
POOLS AND AQUATICS AREA
At this time, we will be opening our pools to members on January 31, 2022.
Capacity limits of 50% still apply during this re-opening plan. Swim lanes are on a first come first serve basis with pool bookings need only for Saturday open swims to ensure equal usage time for all members. Aqua classes will continue a ticket system to ensure capacity limits.
As guidelines change, we expect that our protocols in our centres will change over time.
Here is how your YMCA experience will be different as we take precautions to keep you safe:
Health screening and limited capacity in spaces will be put in place.
Masks are MANDATORY to enter the facility, while walking throughout the facility, from one area to another and transitioning from equipment to equipment. Please do not walk from space to space without your mask worn properly. We continue to ensure the health and safety of our members, staff and volunteers is our top priority and we need your support.
- All participants are required to complete a self-screening questionnaire at home before entering the facility. If you are experiencing any symptoms, please do not attend.
- QR Code vaccination proof is required to obtain a new membership. You are clear to enter once you scan your membership card if you have shown us your proof of vaccination status in the past.
- Because we can only allow a certain number of people in the facility at once, day passes are not available, to give our members more opportunity to use their YMCA.
- Fitness and aqua classes will continue to be offered by ticket system based on maintaining 3 metre physical distance. Fitness classes in the Studio will be 7 members plus 1 instructor. Aqua classes in the Main pool will be 7 members plus 1 instructor, Aqua classes in the Leisure pool will be 5 members plus 1 instructor.
Physical distancing, frequent disinfecting, and equipment requirements:
- We will continue the increased cleaning and disinfecting practices in all areas of our facility.
- As always, we will provide disinfectant wipes for members to use on their equipment before and after use, it is mandatory for members to clean equipment before and after use of every piece of equipment used.
- To ensure safe physical distancing of 3 metres, class sizes in group fitness classes will be smaller, and some of the equipment has been moved to allow for proper spacing.
- Some Fitness Centre cardio equipment continues to be split between the fitness centre and half of the gymnasium to ensure a spacing of 3 metres apart.
- YMCA Staff will be always enforcing masking and physical distancing of 3 metres for all activities and high-intensity activities.
- We have removed equipment that is difficult to sanitize, such as yoga mats and blocks, and foam rollers.
Program and service changes:
- Gymnasium open times have been CANCELLED at this time. We will revisit a plan for open gymnasium when capacity limits are lifted, and activities can be commenced in a safe environment.
- Fitness Centre equipment has been spaced to allow for the 3 metres between each piece, so only half of the gymnasium will be utilized for programs.
- Winter programming will begin on Monday January 31st and registration has been extended until Saturday February 5th at 5:00pm.
Locker rooms and amenities:
- Masks are to be always worn in locker rooms, unless you are in the shower area.
- We are encouraging our members to come changed and ready to work out whenever possible. Locker rooms and showers WILL be available with physical distancing measures in place of 3 metres. Washrooms will be available to all members.
- Water fountains will not be available for direct consumption, but refill stations are available. We encourage members to bring a water bottle from home.
Your YMCA membership:
Membership payments will resume on February 1, 2022, for members who still have an existing membership. Please see the team at membership services if you have questions regarding your current membership.
**PLEASE NOTE: If you would like to place your membership on hold or make changes to your YMCA membership, please CONTACT us. You must submit this request prior to January 28th to avoid being charged. Please visit the YMCA Membership Services hours in person Monday to Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm. Membership holds can be extended up to June 1, 2022, with no penalty. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any other questions about memberships.
As guidelines change, we expect that our protocols in our centres will change over time. We promise to communicate changes to your YMCA experience as they occur! We will be constantly communicating with Algoma Public Health to determine what safety measures and protocols need to be in place to keep all our staff, volunteers, and members safe. The following types of health and safety procedures will be in place for the foreseeable future:
- You must wear a mask throughout the building other than when actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity including water-based activities; consuming food or drink; for any emergency or medical purpose.
- Self-screening before entering is mandatory. Should you experience any symptoms of COVID-19, please refrain from visiting our facility.
- Limited capacity
- Physical distancing
- Frequent disinfecting
- Equipment changes
- Reduced service & closed spaces/areas.
Be KIND to our staff, volunteers, and your fellow members. Remember we are doing our absolute best to remain a safe and respectful facility for everyone to enjoy.
Follow our Values of Respect, Responsibility, Caring, Honesty, and Inclusiveness.
While we know there will be changes to YMCA spaces, one thing that has not changed is the fact that our YMCA community is made up of kind and caring individuals who know how important it is for kids, families, and individuals to have a safe place to connect, belong and thrive. We know that the need for these opportunities has increased through this period of isolation, while at the same time, the financial situation of many in our community has worsened. As we look to reopening our facilities to members, we know that the need for financial assistance is eminent and the generosity of our members is needed and appreciated more than ever.
We cannot wait to connect with you in person again! Stay tuned for more information! This page will be updated regularly. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for updated information.
**UPDATED: January 24, 202224