We’re Ready For You!
The Sault Ste. Marie YMCA health, fitness and aquatics centres will be reopening on Tuesday, February 16, 2021. After working with Algoma Public Health, we have identified what procedures and protocols will need to be in place to keep you and our employees safe during the re-opening of the YMCA facility.
HOURS OF OPERATION
OPENING UNDER YELLOW GUIDELINES FRAMEWORK
- Mon–Fri 5:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (closed for mid-day cleaning 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.)
- Saturday 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Closed Sunday.
- Holidays 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- *Program spaces close a half hour before the building closes.
Lane swims can be booked during the times below. Please see Membership Services to reserve your lane.
- Mon–Fri 7:00/7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. | 3:15 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday – 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Closed Sunday
As guidelines change, we expect that our protocols in our centres will change over time. Here is how your YMCA experience will be different as we take precautions to keep you safe:
Health screening, limited capacity, and pre-booking your time at the Y:
- Masks are MANDATORY to enter the facility, while walking throughout the facility from one area to another and transitioning from equipment to equipment.
- All participants will complete a self-screening questionnaire before entering.
- Because we can only allow a certain number of people in the facility at once, we will not be allowing access for out-of-town guests, day passes or punch passes, to give our members more opportunity to use their YMCA.
- Members must be from the Algoma District Region.
- Members will be required to pre-book for swim lanes and squash courts. You can pre-book by calling (705) 949-3133.
- Fitness and aqua classes are by ticket system to a maximum of 7 participants with 1 instructor. Fitness classes in the gymnasium will have 9 participants with 1 instructor.
Physical distancing, frequent disinfecting, and equipment changes:
- We will increase our cleaning and disinfecting practices in all areas of our facility.
- As always, we will provide disinfectant wipes for members to use on their equipment before and after use, it is mandatory for members to clean equipment before and after use of every piece of equipment used.
- To ensure safe physical distancing of 3 metres, class sizes in group fitness classes will be smaller, and some of the equipment in our fitness centre has been rearranged in half of the gymnasium.
- YMCA Staff will be enforcing physical distancing of 3 metres for all activities and 3 metres for high-intensity activities at all times.
- We have removed equipment that is difficult to sanitize, such as yoga mats and blocks, and foam rollers.
Program and service changes:
- Our Winter program session is scheduled to begin March 1st and run until June 19th. (registrations completed before the lockdown will remain as registered).
- Gymnasium open bookings have been CANCELLED at this time.
- Fitness Centre equipment has been spaced to allow for the 3 metres between each piece.
Locker rooms and amenities:
- We are encouraging our members to come changed and ready to work out whenever possible. Locker rooms and showers WILL be available with physical distancing measures in place of 3 meters. Washrooms will be available to all members. The family changeroom is also available should you require more space.
- Hair dryers in the plus will not be available.
- Water fountains will not be available for direct consumption, but refill stations are available. We encourage members to bring a water bottle from home.
Your YMCA membership:
Membership payments will resume on March 1, 2021 for members who still have an existing membership. Please see membership services if you would like a credit for January’s payment.
**Please note: If you do not wish to come back at this point in time, please CONTACT us to keep your membership on hold. You must submit this request prior to February 25th to avoid being charged. Please visit the YMCA Membership Services hours in person Monday to Friday 9:00am – 2:00pm & 3:00pm – 5:00pm (holds, changes or cancellations). Membership holds can be extended up to July15th, 2021 with no penalty. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any other questions about memberships.
As guidelines change, we expect that our protocols in our centres will change over time. We promise to communicate changes to your YMCA experience as they occur! We will be constantly communicating with Algoma Public Health to determine what safety measures and protocols need to be in place to keep all our staff, volunteers, and members safe. The following types of health and safety procedures will be in place for the foreseeable future:
- You must wear a mask throughout the building other than when actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity including water-based activities; consuming food or drink; for any emergency or medical purpose.
- Self screening before entering is mandatory.
- Limited capacity
- Physical distancing
- Frequent disinfecting
- Equipment changes
- Reduced service & closed spaces/areas.
- Be KIND to our staff, volunteers, and your fellow members. Remember we are doing our absolute best to remain a safe and respectful facility for everyone to enjoy.
- Follow our Values of Respect, Responsibility, Caring, Honesty, and Inclusiveness.
While we know there will be changes to YMCA spaces, one thing that has not changed is the fact that our YMCA community is made up of kind and caring individuals who know how important it is for kids, families, and individuals to have a safe place to connect, belong and thrive. We know that the need for these opportunities has increased through this period of isolation, while at the same time, the financial situation of many in our community has worsened. As we look to reopening our facilities to members, we know that the need for financial assistance is eminent and the generosity of our members are needed and appreciated more than ever.
We cannot wait to connect with you in person again! Stay tuned for more information! This page will be updated regularly. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram for updated information.
**UPDATED: February 11, 2021